Monday, June 6, 2016

And so it begins

My name is Chef. My life has always revolved around food. As a child, growing up in an Italian family surrounded by food at every turn, in the jobs that excited my active, tireless, competitive, perfectionist persona,  and now in the culinary path it has laid out before me; it was a logical thing for me to become and live the life of a Chef. But the path of learning this craft was anything but easy; fun yes, easy no. It has been a life peppered with amazing successes and failures.  These countless moments have certainly made for a life of entertained learning. From years of experience these deeper truths now come to you so you may better understand, life....as a Chef..
As a child my earliest and fondest memories have always involved food. My entire family celebrated every meal; I say both that, we as an entire family, and that each meal was in fact celebrated. I grew up with meals that were made and shared with love. My parents, my grandparents, aunts and uncles all cooked, all had their thing they were known for, and each had its day or holiday to shine and share with family and friends. Holidays, celebrations, breakfast, dinner, even times of mourning, all had a common binding thread; food. That’s how I grew up.
When it came time for me to get my first job, I serendipitously found myself in the kitchen. Fast paced , demanding and precise, it suited me well. I played sports, I ran, I competed; this kitchen life was work I could relate to. It was competitive, draining, fulfilling. Even as I pursued my education, the pace and rigor of kitchen work was comforting to me. It provided purpose, immediate gratification, meaning. After fours years of working my way through  college, studying engineering, business, sociology and Japanese studies, I still felt called by the kitchen. But, if I were going to do this thing, be a Chef, I was going to do it right. Naturally I found myself, as many of our industry’s best do, at the best Culinary Institute for that purpose. And so I formalized my classical training, learned the way, and paid my dues. That’s how I was taught.
What I got next from all this was a career no one could have ever explained to me was possible. I have been a line cook, caterer, a media Chef and a consultant, a Restaurant Chef owner and a private Chef, and now after all that, I find myself as an Chef instructor at the Institution that helped forge my knowledge and skills. It’s a path that has taken me places that would boggle my high school guidance counselor’s mind, one that most “normal” people would find hard to understand, and to an even lesser degree, find enjoyable. It was all mine and I loved every minute of it, at least that’s how I remember it now. That’s how I was trained.

Looking back, I don’t think anything else would do. Chef, it had to be. And now as I Look forward I can share with you those moments. Moments where, in that crucible we call a kitchen, knowledge and habits are forged into the professional being we are. Throughout this Chef journey I have seen amazing things, disaster and success, and like brilliant ingots being quenched, knowledge and expertise are hardened and polished upon such reflections. So here, I will share those lessons and pass them along to you. They are entertaining anecdotes for sure, each holding at its core a lesson that comes only from the forging fires of a Chef’s life.

10 comments:

  1. As my Chef instructor you made an indelible impression on me as a person and as a professional. I'm excited to see where this blog goes and learn more about and from my most influential mentor and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired more students at the CIA more than instructor that I know and as your former student, former colleague and current friend, I am one of those people that you inspired... and I thank you from the bottom of my heart...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef mccue, ur passion for food exudes in your personality, your love of teaching is appriciated and never taken for granted, i love that you are writing this blog. I would have never done BA if it wasnt for you and by doing it my career has been very blessed for it. I love being a chef, best job in the world. Its the most rewarding one out there and one that will always be needed. All your students are better by knowing and being taught by you. I thank god i had you to push me to continue my education there at CIA. The back breaking, long hours, lack of sleep and paitience, constant learning/perfecting our skills give us the best respect for ourselves and fellow line cooks. We know going into work were going to be busy and tentions are going to be high and servers are going to mess up the cold station is going to die in the middle of service and the dishwasher is going to call out but we still take care of business cause we know its all going to end soon and the gratification you receive is better than any feeling. Knowing you can have anything and everything go wrong and somehow we make it through and the customer was happy and you still get to come in and do it all agian tomorrow. Thanks chef, i will always have love and respect for you. WHAT WOULD MCCUE DO :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done David, in all aspects of your life.
    Eileen Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were the best chef and instructor for me. You always care students including me from your heart. I appreciate to you so much. Your class is unforgetable. LOVE YOU CHEF♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I can actually say "I knew you when..." Love you my dear old friend of thirty (ahhhhh) years! Annick 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I can actually say "I knew you when..." Love you my dear old friend of thirty (ahhhhh) years! Annick 😊

    ReplyDelete